Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Joy of Being Near Sighted


“To look at everything always as though you were 
seeing it either for the first or last time: 
Thus is your time on earth filled with glory."
— Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn


Susan and I both seem to be caught up in the glorious gifts of Nature lately.  We are so fortunate to live in such a beautiful part of the country.  I suspect there is beauty in your surroundings, too.

I had the good fortune to spend the past two weeks in beautiful settings outside my usual environs; a week in Western Montana’s bucolic and breathtaking Big Sky farmlands and a few days in Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. Yet, though my time away was so enjoyable and awe inspiring and made me most grateful for the opportunity to travel and to be moved by the wonder of so many extraordinary places, I found myself thinking a lot about complacency - wondering what I’ve been missing by seeing past the things most dear to me and so often assuming that beauty is only beyond where I am. 

I know there is so much to enjoy and be awed by right under my proverbial nose.  But so often I’m too caught up in the getting by or getting through of life that I miss it. There ‘s so much wonder around me If only I would take time to look, to really see, beyond the utilitarian and common labels I frequently attach to the people, things and circumstances of my life!  My crab-grass and clover laden lawn and “ugly” brown fence are a frustration to me, but to my 9 year old grandson they are Fenway Park and The Big Green Monster and quite beautiful when he’s running the bases after his 5th home run! My mud and puppy spit covered kitchen floor is “just another thing to get to” for me, but to the dogs, it’s a beautiful, cool place to rest after a good romp in a summer shower.  My husband's ratty, old, and faded t-shirt is not at all beautiful to me, but to him it’s a symbol of comfort, and the joy of being home, truly beautiful things! 

I must remember Betty Smith’s words and put to practice the framing of life she encouraged in her memorable book. For I do not doubt that if today was my last day on this earth, I’d want to hold tight in my soul my grandson’s 5th home run around my weedy, brown fenced yard and savor every sloppy minute with those crazy hounds, and hold close that ratty old t-shirt! 

Having the opportunity to explore new places and see new vistas is such a wonderful gift and of course, I hope there are many more occasions for those pleasures in my life. But, I mustn’t count solely on them to define the beauty in my world but use them to help me see ordinary things in extraordinary ways. A small hand wrapped around the wilted stems of dandelions rivals every grand vista I’ve ever seen!  It’s good to be home.

Happy Trails!

Dorothy

Dorothy:  These past weeks have been filled with the glory of family, friends and beautiful sights….all stowed forever in the treasure box of my memory for future enjoyment!   What a wonderful world, what a wonderful life!!! 


Susan:   This past week we’ve had the opportunity to be tour guides for wonderful friends visiting from out of town.   Being a part of their first visit to the rugged Wasatch Mountains was awe-inspiring.  It was a reminder of how easy it is to take for granted the beauty, joy, and inspiration surrounding us. I feel changed by this experience ... renewed and eager to see if I can shed expectation and see with new eyes.



1 comment:

  1. I, too, can relate...appreciating what is right under my nose after a week long trip in the Wind River Range. I was blown away by it's breathtaking beauty around every turn. 5 glorious days surrounded by jagged peaks, glacial waters and white crisp snow. Even after that, somehow it doesn't compare to sitting on my porch in our rocking chair surrounded by the peacefulness of the wilderness, enjoying the morning sun on my face and the view of the lake in the distance. So awesome to be reminded about how good life is one step outside my own front door.

    ReplyDelete