Saturday, July 16, 2011

Celebrate The Small Victories

Embrace life with excitement,
And celebrate even the smallest victories!
Denise Linn


The 51% Project was created to encourage positive change by recommending small things we can do to find happiness. One of the most effective ways for me to get into a positive frame of mind is to look for the beauty in nature. First thing in the morning, I open the blinds and look outside. Some mornings the potted petunias are backlit by the sun and glow with stunning beauty. As the sun strikes the lush green grasses on the hillsides around our home it intensifies the colors and leaves me in awe of the incredible beauty surrounding me. Driving to the office I’m awed by the cloudless blue skies and the mist hanging above the river. I am so fortunate to be able to enjoy all of this beauty!

There has been a lot of rain in the past several days and this morning is overcast. The rain has given the wildflowers license to grow thicker and bloom with even more brilliance that just a few days ago. The hillside behind our home has a thick cover of this beauty and is amazing to look at. With all of the moisture in the ground and the overcast skies it’s quiet in that special way it gets when the air is thick with humidity. The usual sounds of civilization are muted. The winds’ breath gently rustles the leaves on the trees; the river flow and birdsong are the most noticeable sounds around me. I’m in awe of the abundance of peace surrounding me.

These are all simple pleasures, but they are powerful beyond measure. They reconnect me to nature in a visceral way and allow me to let go of worries and find a sense of great peace. I’m enjoying it, taking it all in, allowing it to flow through my body and soul to cleanse me and restore my energy. The pattern for my day is now set to expect peace and beauty. There are also physical benefits to finding joy and excitement around you and celebrating small victories. It sends a message to your immune system that it’s healthy and vital.

I find great peace and calm spending time in nature, whether that nature is in my back yard, hiking the mountains, or enjoying the beautiful and abundant flower beds in the city. Beauty is all around us if we take a moment to acknowledge it.

Namaste!

Susan

Susan: I’ve recently been told that writing this blog has changed me. I didn’t ask if it was change for the better, because I was a rather surprised by the comment. I’ve done quite a lot of thinking about it, and realize that I do feel different. I feel more calm and able to express my feelings and thoughts with greater ease. I feel more “real” and more connected to my heart. Situations that frustrated me and caused me stress a year ago don’t have the same power. I’m more peaceful and it feels very good to me. I’m going to spend the entire weekend celebrating this victory!


This week Dorothy is enjoying the pleasures of nature, delectable meals, friendship, and engaging conversation on an organic farm in Montana. Have an amazing adventure, Dorothy!

Thank you for your support of The 51% Project! Please join us on our Facebook page (just search The 51% Project) and let us know what’s on your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment