Saturday, September 17, 2011

Dream Lofty Dreams

Dream lofty dreams, and as you dream, so shall you become. 
Your vision is the promise of what you shall at last unveil.
- John Ruskin 




This has been a week of remembrance for those of us in the US as well as many around the world.  Remembering where we were ten years ago and comparing it with our lives today brings feelings of relief, expectation, concern, as well as questions about whether we are living in a way that will build a better future.  Conversations about our direction and whether it is positive and will help us take the next step toward growth are occurring everywhere.  I believe these conversations are very positive and will help us identify what we need to do to make our lives and our world more peaceful.  
I’m writing this blog on September 11, and identifying with the feelings of people I’ve talked with today.  Some seem stressed and fearful, others resigned, but many are grateful and determined to find joy and peace.  The most endearing was a woman named Nell, who served me my breakfast.  She exuded positivity with her body language as well as her words, I was so impressed with her compassion and the honesty of her expressions of joy.  I told her that her pleasant nature and joy was an inspiration and that I appreciated meeting her.  Her reply was simple and profound ... “I know it’s a sad day for so many, but I just try to make it a good day”.   She is genuine in her determination to make every day the best it can be. 
 I finished my breakfast while reading an article in the LA Times, and was drawn to comments made by NY City cabbie Vincent Bury, as he talked with a journalist about the anniversary of September 11.  The events of ten years ago inspired most of us to assess our lives and many found gaps between what we want our lives to be and what they are.  Bury described the events of September 11, as “a wake up call to mankind” we all have the responsibility to “contribute some light” to our families, neighbors, communities and countries.  Profound words and a call to action for all of us.  
Change comes slowly and with effort, but it’s well worth taking the journey to pursue our goals.  Gentle acts of compassion and the determination to improve our life inspire and give hope to others as well as help us see the beauty that is all around us.   The conscious choice to contribute light to our own life will have a profoundly positive effect.
Susan
Dorothy is traveling this weekend and I wish her happy travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment