Saturday, June 4, 2011

What Makes You Happiest?

We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.
- Charles Kingsley



The 51% Project is all about finding joy and happiness in our lives, and passing on those gifts to everyone we meet. Making the choice to be happy is a personal choice, but so very important.

When I was talking about The 51% Project with some friends this past weekend, I was reminded of a conversation I had with a another friend recently. As I explained the concept of changing your perspective to think positively just 1% more than you did yesterday, my friend exclaimed “Oh! Of course, you just need to choose to put forward 1% more effort to be happier. Happiness is a choice.” I couldn’t have said it better myself, thank you Pat!

Being in a happy frame of mind helps me simplify my thinking and, therefore, my life. I find that it’s very helpful to make lists of the things that make me happy. Creating the lists, and referring to them later, makes me feel wonderful. To get started, I like to sit quietly, breath deeply and then begin writing as things that make me happy come to mind. I carry a small notebook with me so I can make these lists wherever I happen to be.

Here are some of things on my happiness list. What Makes You Happy?

Watching the sunrise when the sky is pink and the breeze is soft
Walking in the forest hearing the leaves crunch beneath my feet
Playing with my cats
Skiing with friends
Laughing with friends
Enjoying a wonderful meal with family and friends
Driving through a beautiful landscape on a bright, sunny day
Trying a new flavor or ice cream
Finding the perfect pair of shoes
Finding the perfect outfit to go with the perfect shoes
Sitting on a beach laughing with friends
Skiing in soft snow on a blue bird day
Making lists of things that make me happy
Being in love
Being with good friends and people who live happy lives
Exploring new places
Feeling the warm breeze on my skin
Beautiful flowers
Happy conversations
Coffee with friends
Writing in my intention journal
Getting to know new people
Hearing about their interesting lives
Walking into a just cleaned house
The smell of pine trees in the forest

Writing these lists is a wonderful exercise that never fails to make me feel happy and inspired, grateful for all of the goodness in my life. We encourage you to try making your own lists and hope that they inspire you as well. We wish you all a wonderful week full of inspiration and joyful encounters.

Susan and Dorothy

Susan: I’ve been spending time getting our outdoor furniture spruced up for summer and have found that the repetitive nature of sanding, staining, and painting has given me clear space to clean out the cobwebs in my mind, reminding myself to keep what feels good and discard what isn’t useful. I’m clearing the clutter of my mind and it is enriching.

Dorothy: Here are some things from my happiness list:

My grandson’s face
My family around the dinner table
Friends who still matter, in spite of the years and miles that separate us
Petting the soft part of a dog’s ear
Mountain Bluebirds
The smell of the ocean
Children singing
Remembering my parents’ voices
The desert after a rainstorm
The words “I love you”

Thank you for your support and encouragement, we truly appreciate your comments! Join us on The 51% Project Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment