Saturday, June 18, 2011

What Do You Stand For?

I think somehow we learn who we really are
and then live with that decision.
-
Eleanor Roosevelt




Growth and accomplishment, meeting challenges and goals has always been important to me as a means of measuring my own success. Being perceived as good at what I do is important to my self esteem. Most of my life I have felt driven to do what was necessary to win. However, sometimes in my zeal to be accomplished, I haven’t spoken from my heart. When I replay those conversations in my head I always ask myself “why didn’t I just say what I really thought?”

We started The 51% Project to share lessons learned on the path to creating joyful lives. One of these lessons is how important it is to identify what we stand for, it’s crucial to being authentic and speaking our truth. It simplifies relationships and keeps us tuned in to our best self.

After cleaning my windows this week I was delighted by the small details outside that I’d missed looking through rain spots. Similarly, I’ve found that identifying what I stand for and speaking from my heart has removed debris and heaviness from my mind. I’m able to notice and enjoy the happy details of my life. My life is less complicated and I’m so much more joyful.

Life is full of choices about how to react to our families, our neighbors, co-workers, and strangers in the market. Responding with kindness and honesty is simple when my mind is clear of the clutter and debris of not living and speaking authentically. Living a happy life, in many cases, means living a more simple life, and being authentic about my feelings simplifies my life.

Life is supposed to be fun! Live simply, live in honesty, live in joy, live authentically

Susan: This weekend we’re celebrating my Mom’s 98th birthday and the entire family will be with us at our home. It will be a perfect opportunity for me to practice authenticity and joyful expression.

Dorothy: One of our new Facebook friends, you can find their link on The 51% Project page, is an organization called The Good Week. They have designated next week, June 20 – 26, a week in which to focus our individual and collective good out into the world. I encourage you to check out their Facebook page or website. And, I hope you’ll join them in their quest. Imagine the outcome if we all (6,897,588,739 at this writing) do one extra good deed, offer one extra word of kindness, think one extra good thought, every day next week. We are the world and when we choose to make a difference – we can! Good luck to the The Good Week project!!!!


Happy Father’s Day to all Dad’s out there!
Susan and Dorothy

No comments:

Post a Comment