Saturday, June 25, 2011

Cheeseburgers in Paradise and Other Simple Pleasures


I just want to live happily ever after,
every now and then.
                              -Jimmy Buffett


On the recommendation of a friend, I recently tuned into a satellite radio station dedicated to the music of Jimmy Buffett and friends.  Although I enjoy Buffet’s music, I’ve never been a Parrothead, or been to a FIN-land concert, or bought one of his CDs.  That may change. 

I realized after about a week of listening to this new genre, that I was definitely feeling happier.  How can you not feel cheery with steel drums and a Caribbean beat in the background of our life?  Although I don’t necessarily subscribe to all of Buffett’s views on life, I admire him for standing in his truth with no excuses. 
And the lyrics, not just Buffett’s, but also those of his musical friends, are mostly laugh out loud, did he really just say that, hilarious!!!!!  Laughter IS such good medicine!!!

Creating happiness is a many-layered choice, which can, should, involve more than just thought and action. Certainly, thinking happy/positive thoughts and acting in happy/positive ways goes a long way, but I’m finding that when consciously engaging the senses, slipping out of my usual routines, and consciously recognizing, and then eliminating, things I do that create an agitated state of being – most done out of habit or a “my responsibility” place - the work is so much easier and much more fun.

To this end, I made a few adjustments to my daily routine – simple, pleasant, satisfying changes that are having quite an impact on my happiness status:
  •  I stopped watching or reading the news. 
  •  I wore my “good” clothes and jewelry, because today IS a special occasion.
  •  I bought a bunch of beach-scented candles.
  •  I lined my tables and windowsills and shelves with my favorite rocks, shells, pine cones, leaves and pieces of driftwood.
  • I didn’t engage with “glass half-empty” people.
  • I bought GOOD chocolate and GOOD wine and flowers, three bunches. 
  • I called friends who make me laugh.
  • I read a Mary Oliver or Rumi poem everyday.
  • I visited websites with beautiful visual offerings (my favorite: Heron Dance) every morning. 
  • I said, “How interesting,” instead of “ARE YOU KIDDING ME?”
  • I listened to Buffett, Marley, Franti and Prine and Chapin, too.
  • I wore perfume.
  • I danced with my grandson, the dog, and myself.
  • I signed up for a new class at the gym.
  • I unclenched my jaw.
  • I said thank you, out loud, before I turned off the light at bedtime.

You know by now that Susan and I share a belief that choice is the bedrock of happiness, right action, authenticity, and an honorable place in the world community.  And that we believe that by putting out just a bit more effort, just 1% more everyday, we can affect personal and, ultimately, global change to the better.  Who doesn’t want a happier life and a better world?

So, try something new this week, find what fills you; surround yourself with people and music and things that bring you joy. 

Peace,

Dorothy

Dorothy:  We’ve just passed the summer solstice, and although the days will now be shorter, the sun will be brighter and warmer for a while.  I’ve vowed to not miss a moment of it, to take every opportunity I can to be out of doors, to soak up every last bit of this beautiful, life-supporting energy I can and shine it out  to everyone I meet along my way!

Susan:  I enjoy changing up my regular schedule now and then by trying something new for no other reason than because it sounds interesting … and of course, might provide me with a new perspective on life.  Some of my recent favorites have been:
  • Enjoying mornings completely by watching the day come to life, even if it means I need to wake up 30 minutes earlier.
  • Having a second, or even a third cup of tea.
  • Putting at least my feet in the sunshine for 15 minutes.
  • Reading thought provoking, as well as, humorous literature.
  • Wearing my favorite summer sandals even though I am just sitting in the back yard reading.
  • Spending time with people who are intelligent, interesting, and progressive.
  • Drinking bubbly on a week night!
  • Taking a detour into a neighborhood across town to see how beautiful their gardens are.

    Little changes can help break habits that no longer serve us well and allow us to look at our lives with fresh eyes.

    Thank you for returning to The 51% Project blog!  Your support and encouragement is appreciated.  If you use Facebook - please visit our page there and click on our favorite links to find other sources of inspiration and happy making.  There are many people and organizations out there who share our mission to tip the scales for MASS HAPPINESS - see what they're up to, you'll be delighted we're sure.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment