Saturday, February 12, 2011

Living an Intentional Life

Intention:  an aim or objective, the quality of purposefulness.


As we move forward with the 51% Project, we are deeply touched and lifted by the stories shared by the people we’ve highlighted, and of those of you who have posted comments on these pages. In recognizing the joyful and determined lives of folks like Charley Johnson and Heather Gable, we’ve come to see a central theme in their way of being in the world.  Though they may not be as well-known (yet) as others across history who have lived intentional lives (often at their own great peril); Oskar Shindler, Martin Luther King, Paul Rusesabagina, Nelson Mandela, Captain Sully; their choices and actions are made through the conscious intention of decency and integrity everyday. 

When Susan and I first started talking about this project, she told me about a morning ritual she practices.  Each day when she awakens, she takes a few moments to write a sentence in her journal:  Today I will author my life by______________________.  Author her life = write her story, a chance to start a new chapter if so inclined or to beef up or alter the current saga unfolding, simply by stating an intention of how she wished to be that day.  Brilliant!

I loved the concept and began to employ it the very next day.  The results have been remarkable – really.  Though I often forgot the actual verbiage of the written intent by the time I get about my day; at days end, when I peek back at my entry, it’s clear my subconscious has remembered and has guided me appropriately. It’s so subtle, yet extraordinarily powerful.  The results seem to be cumulative as well.  I feel better – do better - am better - for those few moments of contemplation I am taking each day.

Though our intentions may not save the lives of millions, they may provide us, or the people we love and share the earth with, a joyful memory, a moment of grace or the feeling of peace in our sometimes-frightening world.

Whether you choose to AUTHOR your life through your heart or your hand doesn’t matter.  The important thing is to define what purposefulness means to you, and to offer up – in whatever way is comfortable to you – your intention to make it be.

Dorothy:  A peek at my intentions this week:  Today I will author my life by……being a witness and not a judge, remembering to breathe, giving someone the benefit of a doubt, smiling at strangers, being quiet, giving more hugs, trusting it will all work out………………….

SUSAN:  Last summer I began looking closely at the people I interact with in my work life as well as my personal life. I identified what I saw as a change that has occurred in the past few years in everyone’s way of looking at life. I described it in my journal as a frantic, swirling, compulsion to protect ourselves, our jobs, our families, our finances. Everyone, including me, seemed quick to react with aggression and without thinking about a positive outcome, a win/win if you will.  It seemed to me that we’d all given up on the belief in a happy life and instead turned to frustration and fear about the changes occurring in our world.  I didn’t like this feeling and decided to do something about it.  As I considered how to improve my outlook I remembered something I was taught years ago as a technique for creating successful sales calls … visualize the desired result before you walk into the appointment.  Just like an athlete, see the entire encounter it in your minds eye. See/feel yourself entering the meeting confident and purposeful, see/feel your prepared presentation going perfectly, the client’s responses being positive, and leaving the meeting having been awarded the sale. I read about authoring your life every day and liked the idea because it was a simple way to create my day using the same principle I’d learned about successful selling. Every morning I began writing what I wanted out of the day and, like Dorothy, found that I didn’t think about my entry during the day, but when I reviewed it in the evening I’d almost always had the kind of day I’d intended.  Some of my entries have been: “I will author my life today by letting go of the old and inviting in new positive experiences.” “Today will be a day filled with energy and accomplishment.”  “Today is a day to enjoy being out in the mountains, clearing my mind and defining what’s important to me.”  “Today I will be authentic in all of my conversations.” I hope this gives you some ideas about creating an intention for your day … a way to create a purposeful and fulfilling life.

Do you have a story to share – yours or someone you know?  Please tell us about it!  You can email your suggestions to: dmsa51@51percent.us and we’ll contact you.  Remember – this is a PROJECT and the more we share the better we ALL will be!  Thank you for your kind words and acknowledgements.

Live with intention!

Dorothy and Susan


No comments:

Post a Comment