Saturday, February 5, 2011

Choosing Joy and Happiness

Joy waits on welcome, not on time.
Robert Holden, PhD.


February, the second month of The 51% Project. It’s not quite as scary as I thought it would be (did I really say that?!). Finding what we hope are interesting subjects to write about is very rewarding and helps us boost our positive outlooks. We’re glad you’re joining us!

Finding happiness is a choice, sometimes not an easy choice to be sure, but a choice nonetheless. We all find ourselves in difficult situations now and then. When we (Dorothy and I) are in one of those situations, we’re making an effort to find something to feel good about before we let ourselves fall off the cliff of negativity.

In this new work, Dorothy and I have the opportunity to talk with very interesting people and we’re truly delighted by how much happiness they are receiving by contributing to their communities, families, and friends. Hearing their remarkable stories always gives us something wonderful and joyful to think about. We’d like to share a recent conversation with a remarkable young woman who is dedicated to helping girls gain a sense of pride, accomplishment, self esteem, and independence.

Heather Gable was raised by very adventurous parents who involved their children in many unusual, wonderful experiences like living 6 months in a cabin in the forest that had no running water or electricity, just for the fun of it. Heather is an accomplished horsewoman who, as a teen, won multiple honors in the World Championship Horse Show. She is now a dedicated wife, mother, career woman, and is carrying on the family tradition of giving back to her community.

Each year she volunteers a week of her vacation, her time, her expertise, her horses, and opens her home for a horse camp for girls between the ages of 11-15. Some of the girls are 4.0 students; others struggle in school and in their lives. Some have never ridden and some have their own horse and ride regularly. Every girl needs encouragement to find her path to success, and every path is unique.

Over a week’s time she works with the girls to improve their communication skills and handling of the horses, colt starting (first bridal, first saddle, first ride), jumping and vaulting (trick riding) and even swimming with the horses in a river near her home. She requires hard work, dedication, fearlessness, and a willingness to go the extra mile even if they’re scared or tired. If the girls have interest and ability, Heather voluntarily continues to work with them taking them further into the world of champion horsemanship after the camp is over.

Heather has her own young family to care for as well as a demanding career with a large national corporation. She is making a difference in the lives of these girls, giving them an opportunity to succeed at something special, something not many people have an opportunity to experience. In the process she is changing the course of all of their lives for the better, forever. Heather has reached beyond the 51% Tipping Point in making a difference in her community, and who knows where the change she triggers will take these girls? Heather and her family live in beautiful Idaho. You can check out Heather’s web page at: http://www.gablestables.com/ .


SUSAN: I find myself getting great strength and joy from people like Heather, Charlie Johnson, Dorothy, my daughter Christina to name just a few. So I don’t forget the stories I hear, I’ve begun carrying a small notebook with me wherever I go so that I can jot down things that make me feel happy. The notebook also serves another purpose when I leave a challenging situation; I can perk myself up by reading from the notebook and remembering the joy I felt writing in it earlier. I’m finding that I get more joy out of the amazing stories I hear from people I meet than I do from simple words like “Warren Miller blue skies”, or “a perfect diamond studded snow day”, so I’m on the lookout for remarkable stories about all of the good things people are doing with their lives. I’ll include these stories as the month progresses.

DOROTHY: Here in the Wasatch Mountains, where weather changes rapidly and often with great extremes, I’ve been paying attention to people and how they respond to the old, “Hey, how ‘bout this weather?” query!!! What I’ve found is that amongst the usual grumbling and grouching about the 3 feet of snow in the driveway - AGAIN, there are those who, no matter how cold or wet or windy it is out there, find someway to turn it into a very good day!!! "But, oh what great skiing tomorrow" and "at least I’m getting my exercise." They’re the same folks who, when it’s 90 degrees with zero humidity, claim, “My flowers LOVE this weather!” And, they are also often the people who drive their elderly neighbor to the polls to vote, take in foster pets, and deliver meals to shut-ins. They are people who find joy in unexpected places and, from my observation at least, are living happy lives. Just being around these people makes me happy, helps me to see the world in brighter colors. So, like Susan, this month I’m going to seek them out and collect their joy-isms and their stories to share with you later. In the meantime – I’m going to take time to notice the cardinal in the aspen tree, the giggles of the kids on the playground, the elderly couple holding hands, and I’m going to work extra hard to find a way to be helpful to at least one other living being everyday. Do good – feel good/feel good – do good!

We invite you to join us this month in making happiness and joy your choice. Look closely at the people you encounter and see what lies beneath the surface. When you find amazing people who are making a difference in your life and the lives of others, we encourage you to acknowledge them for their positive contributions, and share their remarkable stories with us and with others. It’s one more step on the way to the 51% Project Tipping Point.

If you find this blog of value please share it with friends and become a subscriber and/or follower yourself. Thanks!

Happy February,
Susan and Dorothy

2 comments:

  1. As a two time cancer survivor - breast and melanoma, I always look at each day in a possitive mode. I volunteer at the library twice weekly and drive seniors to the center on a daily basis. A smile to someone in the supermarket does wonders. I don't look to the future ,just to today and what changes I can make in that day. I can't change the world, but I can change a little something in pay forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SUSAN: Thank you so much for posting about my life on your blog. You took hours out of your day to talk with me without ever wanting a thing in return. You made me feel so good inside and want to continue doing what I do. After our long conversation the other day, I called my parents and told them how much they mean to me and Thanked them for putting me in a position where I can give back to my communittee and these young riders. I also talked to my husband that very night and make sure I told him how much he means to me and how important his support and efforts are to me. Thank you for all you and Dorothy do to keep us positive about our lives. Even when we do give, sometimes just acknowledgement like this keeps us going and seeing the good in life. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete