Saturday, January 22, 2011

Our Inner Goodness

We are each other's harvest,
We are each other's business,
We are each other's magnitude and bond.
…..Geraldine Brooks

Having lived in Tucson, where I was a constituent of Congresswomen Giffords, I was especially sensitive to the tragic event that occurred there last week.  For me, and for most others, it was a week of sadness, pain and reflection. Once able to move myself beyond the violence and its outcome though, I found myself lifted and inspired by the power of the people in that community, and in our nation, to come together once again – to expose what our friend Jen Sayers calls, “the best version” of themselves; their innate goodness, their compassionate hearts, their connectedness. There was no call to arms, no lynch mob, no gathering of a posse.  Instead, people from all walks of life, of great diversity, united together to hold one another up under the weight of their own grieving hearts and battered spirits and the healing was allowed to begin.

That goodness must not be denied, nor contained, for when we unite in right action, as is beautifully illustrated in the video we share with you below, a seed of love and understanding is planted and WILL bloom.

Please enjoy and contemplate this lovely expression of Grace and Goodness that lives in all of us, then find and nourish your own!!!!

Grace and Goodness:   Elizabeth Hughes, 8, made her debut signing the national anthem at an AHL Norfolk Admirals game against the Connecticut Whale last Friday night. Angelic voice, bundle of nerves and then after the words “gave proof,” her microphone abruptly cut out.

                      What happens next is what happens when Grace and Goodness converge.





Dorothy:  I have begun noticing in myself, and in others, this nanosecond of recognition that occurs when we’re about to cross that line of demarcation that separates our edges from ‘theirs.”  It’s an almost imperceptible wince of the eyes, twinge in the heart, catch of the breath that signals to us that THIS IS THE MOMENT OF CHOICE.  Do I choose to exercise my inner goodness or betray it?  Whatever choice I make becomes the unfolding of either a very good outcome (or day) or a not so good outcome (or day). I’ve discovered that either way – there is a significant visceral reaction that follows.  When I choose to do good – by letting go, by making an apology, by looking at another’s needs above my own – I feel GOOD.  I move on with my day – or that conversation with a carefree-ness, a sense of right –ness in my world.  When I choose to betray my good – I feel BAD and then the next thing I know I’ve moved to justifying the behavior or victimizing the behavior and I’m tired and I’m cranky and really not nice to be around and then the people around me are not so nice to be around and it becomes very, very rotten day! One nanosecond can change everything.  I’m learning to catch the warning signs now. Not every time but more times (possibly 51% of the time?) I CAN stop and consciously decide which way to go – which battle to pick, whether winning is THAT important, whether I want to experience a very good day or a very rotten day.   When I do good I feel good and when I feel good I do good.  Now to just REMEMBER!

Susan:  It's been an interesting week on the "expressing boundaries" front.  I've found myself unexpectedly reacting with frustration very quickly, not expressing those feelings, but feeling them nonetheless.  I found myself quickly analyzing my reactions to determine if they were justified.  Generally speaking, I felt that I was correct and my boundaries were being crossed, but also recognized that the boundary crossing wasn't deliberate or malicious.  So, I could easily deal with the situation appropriately and accomplish what I needed.  While I can't confirm it yet, I'm sure it also allowed me to express my boundaries by subtle means like the tone of my voice, the quickness of my response, and undoubtedly, by my body language.  I can't imagine that these small changes are going unnoticed nor do I expect that I won't be getting some feedback soon!


Please join the conversation!  By subscribing below you will be automatically notified of new posts and added comments to this blog. Your input matters!  How do you feel about what we are sharing – comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated?




           

No comments:

Post a Comment