Saturday, October 1, 2011

Living a Gracious and Joyful Life

She was one of those happily created beings who please without effort, 
make friends everywhere, and take life so gracefully and easily
that less fortunate souls are tempted to believe 
that such are born under a lucky star.
With luck, most of us have the wonderful experience of knowing someone who seems to have life all figured out.  This person speaks their mind honestly and without malice, looks at each situation without threat or fear, and finds joy in every day.  Such is a happy person.
Happy people seem to effortlessly create more happiness, and even when life throws them a curve ball they catch it gracefully and know precisely the right thing to do next.  They are easy about life and don’t get caught up in a harried and frantic world.  They enjoy themselves in each situation, they love that others’ dreams are fulfilled, and they look for the best in everyone and every situation.   I believe that they know what is truly important in life and understand where they find the most joy.  And finding that joy is their ultimate goal. 
There are many old adages like “birds of a feather flock together” and “be careful what you wish for, you might get it”.  I try to take those sayings to heart and place myself, as often as absolutely possible, in the company of those remarkable souls who are fun, interesting, excited about life, and adventuresome.  Their happiness inspires me to make choices that lead to more interesting experiences.  To keep myself moving toward my dream of an interesting and fun-filled life, I’ve created a master dream list and I add every fun and interesting experience I can think of to that list.  I keep it on my computer, because that’s easiest for me, and I can easily add to it as I get more ideas.   It’s fun to create the list, and it’s even more fun to check off my accomplishments.   Of course, that means there’s lots more room for new dreams and experiences!
I’ve found that you really do get what you wish for, so why not wish for wonderful friendships, a happy and close family, the love and support of someone special, and exciting experiences that enrich life? 
As I continue to shed some of the old habits of my life I’ve found my life is easier, less stressful, and so much more satisfying.  It isn’t always easy or comfortable to follow through on my choice to spend my time with people who live gracefully and easily, but it’s always well worth the effort.  I feel like I’ve finally aligned myself with my heart.  I feel easier about my life and more able to express my thoughts and feelings with less stress and discomfort.   I look forward to the continuing experience of life.
Have a wonderful week!
Susan
SUSAN:  This year has been an amazing growth experience for me.  I’m very grateful for the people I’ve met, long time friends who continue to touch my heart, and those from whom I’ve learned so much.
DOROTHY:  To my good fortune, my life is full of chronically happy people – they are a joy and inspiration, and a great insulator from the dream snatchers and nay-slayers who sometimes cross my path.  I choose not to spend much time with the latter, as the negative affect they have on me is so uncomfortable it becomes a palpable physical, as well as, emotional distress I am no longer able to tolerate.  As in tending a garden – so it is in life as well, every so often you have to pull out that which is detrimental to the beauty and health of the whole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment