Friday, March 18, 2011

When Did We Become Oblivious?

People only see what they are prepared to see.
-
Ralph Waldo Emerson



Just the other day I was struck by how oblivious we have become as we rush through our lives, barely noticing that others could use our assistance. Then I remembered the TV commercial showing a young mom with a toddler in a stroller at a busy intersection in a large city … the baby throws her doll on the sidewalk and a man picks up the toy and returns it to the baby. The mom is grateful and others noticed the kindness and smile, even though they’re hurrying to cross the street. It was a great illustration of noticing others and how the little things we do for them have a positive impact. Helping an aging woman wrestling with a heavy grocery bag has a positive impact on her and takes almost no time at all. It’s easy to hold the entry door for the person behind you, and it says that you acknowledge their presence. It’s simple to pick up sunglasses someone drops unnoticed and give them back. There are many little things each of us can do during the day that make small, but positive differences in others’ lives … and those simple acts of kindness we perform seem to make an even bigger difference in our own lives.

We encourage sharpening our awareness of the simple ways we can all help out every day. Just a happy “good morning!” when you pass someone can start both of your days off with a smile. Little things can bring joy to the day and push us forward on the path to thinking positively 51% of the time.

SUSAN: My work moving forward is to heighten my attention to what is happening around me so I can make some small differences in others' lives.

DOROTHY: I feel strongly that the quality of our lives is greatly affected by how we treat others. So, I’m with Susan; it’s time to fine-tune my “situational awareness” skills. I’m going to make a point of seeing the world around me through a wider lens and offering random acts of kindness whenever I can.

Please visit us on Facebook – just search for The 51% Project. If you are finding our blog useful, let us know by leaving a thumbs up/like. And of course, any comments, suggestions, considerations for future content, are always welcome!


S & D

No comments:

Post a Comment