Friday, March 25, 2011

Finding the Best Version of Yourself

In previous weeks we introduced you to some people whose kindness and wisdom have touched us. We hope you are as inspired by their stories as we are and that you, too, have extraordinary teachers in your life.

Today we’d like to introduce you to an extraordinary, beautiful woman whose wisdom reaches far beyond her years and through whom we have learned that sometimes you just have to get out of your head and trust the wisdom of your body and inner self. Please meet our yoga instructor and friend, Jen Sayers.



**********

‘It is through your body that you realize you are a spark of divinity.’
-B. K. S.




My impression of the 51% project is that of a forum designed to inspire people to get into the drivers seat of their own lives; take charge and make choices to create a better life, a better you, a better me, and a better world. I’m a yoga teacher and student and my practice has given me a few tools and, in turn, a few glimpses of that better self I want to be.

Yoga reminds us again and again that we already have everything we need; we were born with it. That perfect place deep within where all is well and you are your most genuine and authentic version of yourself - that place of Divinity or what you may call your inner knowing, your truth. Over time our experiences, both good and bad, put layers over that place - that authentic self. Little hurts and fears are like sheets of plastic wrap; big ones can be more like bricks or steel. Either way, the ‘real you’ gets buried deeper and deeper until who we really are, or were meant to be, can become unrecognizable, even to ourselves. Every stimulus adds another layer. Yoga, meditation, and other stilling practices can help to peel away the layers, allowing us glimpses of that center, stimulating our desire to get back there; back in touch with our truth. Every moment of presence, breath, yoga practice, joy and love has the power to bring us back so that we can become who we were meant to be, who we really are, who we want to be, and the best version of ourselves.

The most challenging part for many of us is the desire for an instant fix. It’s not going to happen. Even when we do get in touch with our own best self, it’s a daily battle to stay there, constantly returning again and again to center. That’s what my yoga practice helps me do. What helps you see inside?

In yoga we use the word ‘Namaste.” It’s only fitting that I use that word here and now to say:





‘I honor that place with in you of light, love, truth and peace.
When you are in that place in you, I am in that place in me,
we are one.’



*********




Dorothy: I’ve been doing yoga on and off for many years, but it wasn’t until I moved here to Utah 3 years ago that the practice became a part of me, a daily tonic that has strengthened me in so many ways. Through Jen, and other teachers I’ve met along the way, I am gratefully now more often that best version of myself – certainly 51% of the time!!!! As Jen said, there are no instant fixes. So, with one foot in front of the other, I plod on; encountering teachers and things along the way that help me to keep peeling away the layers. It is sometimes hard and uncomfortable but yoga, this blog, the people and experiences in my life help to remind me that the beauty is in the process not the work. Looking at where I am and back at where I was, the effort is barely a memory - it’s the outcome I celebrate! We all have a best version of ourselves. Whatever path you take to nourish yours, I wish you peace and joy in the process. Namaste

Susan: Dorothy’s comments are also true for me. Finding my physical center and authentic self, with the help of my yoga practice, limbers both my body and mind allowing me to discard negativity and feel graceful as I move through my day. It’s one more very pleasant way for me to have positive awareness. Namaste.


If you would like to receive notification of new posts, please send your request and email to: dmsa51@51percent.us. and we will be happy to oblige. Thank you for your support and encouragement!

No comments:

Post a Comment