Saturday, June 2, 2012

A Tribute to Friends


“Friendship is a single soul,
living in two bodies.”
~Aristotle



Last week I celebrated a birthday. I’m well past the time in my life when that day brings excitement and eager anticipation for parties and gifts.  These days, my birthday generally moves me in a more contemplative direction; what did the year unfold for me, what lies ahead, what moved me, what changed me?

As I mulled over the events of the past year, I was not surprised to note that each milestone, accomplishment, challenge, celebration unwinding in my head that morning included the presence, contribution, encouragement of a friend…big as life or on the sidelines – but clearly part of the glue of my life. My family and health are certainly at the top of my gratitude list, but it is my friends who buoy me, who help me see my place in the world, who shine their light in my darkest hours, who laugh with me and AT me and help me take myself less seriously, who cheer me on and applaud me regardless of how small (or silly) my accomplishments are, who also say “get over it” and who say “I know” because they do.

This sweet tale defines true friendship for me. Gratefully, a friend has reached out to me in all my times of trouble and joy.


"This guy's walking down the street when he falls in a hole. The walls are so steep he can't get out.  A doctor passes by and the guy shouts up, 'Hey you. Can you help me out?' The doctor writes a prescription, throws it down in the hole and moves on. Then a priest comes along and the guy shouts up, 'Father, I'm down in this hole can you help me out?' The priest writes out a prayer, throws it down in the hole and moves on. Then a friend walks by, 'Hey, Joe, it's me can you help me out?' And the friend jumps in the hole. Our guy says, 'Are you stupid? Now we're both down here.' The friend says, 'Yeah, but I've been down here before and I know the way out.'" (Leo to Josh - West Wing)

New friends, old friends, friends who defy the boundaries of time and space, I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart….but for you my heart has no bottom.

With the deepest gratitude…

Dorothy


Find us on Facebook at:  The 51% Project

No comments:

Post a Comment